Originally a shoe factory, this 1908 building in lower Manhattan was converted to high-end residential units in 2005. While very sleek, the renovation had concealed all evidence of the building's former industrial function. A study of the building's history, and more than a few probe holes, revealed a brick and stone gable on the roof deck, as well as a 25' elevator shaft rising through the center of the space (shown). Left in their as-found condition, these "new" details provide a dramatic contrast to the clean, modern surfaces comprising the rest of the home.
Original tar-splotched elevator shaft brick, with white plaster wall and polished aluminum stair rail.
Raw space: original foundry brick walls and stone portals exposed on the roof deck. Brazilian tiger wood planks, teak built-in benches, clinging ivy, and stainless steel cables balance the rest of the design.
Corner couches maximize seating in a minimal space. Benches hinged to provide storage below.
Spiral staircase landing: interior brick blending seamlessly with exterior brick above glass roof.
Neighboring water tower, framed by stone portals.